St. Mary’s University Testing Center(originally known as New Programs Coordination Office) was established on October 20, 2008, and since then has been quartered at the Railroad Campus. It was initially engaged in making studies and presenting recommendations for the introduction of new programs in the former St. Mary’s University College.
By the end of 2009, the office adopted a new name - Testing Center. Since then, the Center has been charged with the task of preparing and providing assessment instruments for the College of Open and Distance Learning (CODL) and assisting the conventional mode of learning in the development and administration of up-to-standard assessment tools so as to help enhance quality of teaching-learning while at the same time it gives training and services in measurement and evaluation and pedagogy.
Major duties and responsibilities of the Testing Center:
- Prepares standardized assignment tools and exams for the College of Open and Distance Learning;
- Assists in the preparation of up-to-standard semester exam items for Regular Program;
- Prepares and administers special purpose (screening) tests used for such purposes as employment and placement to outside customers (Organizations, Institutions, Governmental bodies, etc);
- Gives training on educational measurement and evaluation and related pedagogical issues for academic staff of the University and others outside the University up on requests;
- Prepares and administers Comprehensive Degree exit Exams and Entrance Exams for CODL and the Regular Programs;
- Administers international tests such as Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL-iBT) and Graduate Record Exam (GRE);
- Conducts research on problems of assessment and pedagogy;
- Assists in the assessment tools employed in the University pertaining to criterion-referenced assessment;
- Establishes, maintains and manages an electronic collection of assessment instruments which are prepared on the basis of blueprints;
- Conducts item analysis of course exam items (after exams are administered) and give feedback to the concerned academic bodies.
Some of the test services provided by the TC for employment/ placement are the following:
Internet-Based TOEFL and GRE service is provided at SMU TOEFL-iBT Center at the School of Graduate Studies, Main Campus.
Working hard to deliver better quality work, we are guided by the motto: “GOOD IS NOT ENOUGH, WHEN BETTER IS EXPECTED”.
For further enquiry about any of the services indicated above, the Testing Center is ready to provide detailed information and assistance to customers.
Telephone: +251) 115 51 09 91/ +251) 115 52 45 75
P. O. Box 18490