The Office of the Registrar
St. Mary’s University’s Registrar’s Office has been in operation since the establishment of the University in 1998. It serves as an entry point for those who want to apply for admission to the University. To cater to the needs of students, three Associate Registrars run the Office’s functions at Undergraduate Studies, School of Graduate Studies and College of Open and Distance Learning. The major operational areas of the Office are Admission and Registration Services, Academic Document Processing, and Student Services. Each of these operations is headed by an Assistant Registrar answerable to the respective Associate Registrar.
The Office assists of the Top Management to make informed decisions to improve students services by providing evidence-based information. To this end, it periodically issues up-to-date data on student progression and attrition, which can be used as input for intervention in the teaching-learning and administrative processes. These include student enrollment, graduation, withdrawal and dropout, which appear in the annual Bulletin of Student Statistics (BOSS).
The Office also compiles data on instructors’ absenteeism and conduct of makeup classes for any missed hours. In addition to organizing and producing different statistical information, the Office has automated its system and has enabled students to access diverse information and their grades on their mobile sets. As of the last two years, it has created an SMS platform through which the entire University community can receive and send messages of academic interest.
Specifically, the Registrar’s Office is responsible to:
- develop and implement systems to maintain students’ academic records;
- administer storage, security, accuracy and preservation of academic credentials in accordance with the University’ Policy, Ministry of Education’s standards and privacy laws;
- prepare academic calendar and present to the University’s Senate for approval;
- interpret and enforce academic rules and regulations;
- manage academic records and transcript processing;
- ensure the implementation of activities in line with the academic calendar of the University;
- coordinate the preparation and compilation of course catalogue;
- produce lists of students recommended for graduation and presents the same to the University Senate for approval;
- prepare original diplomas to be issued by the University;
- produce different statistical reports related to student attrition and retention; and
- ensure the smooth running of the database system of the Office.
Eligibility for Admission
To be eligible for admission to the Graduate School applicants must, before they are enrolled, hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. To be eligible for admission to the undergraduate studies, the applicants must meet the admission requirements set by the Ministry of Science & Higher Education (MoSHE).
St. Mary’s University does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, religion, national or ethnic origin and disability in any phase of its admission, or other aspects of its educational programs or activities.
Undergraduate Studies (Undergraduate Campus)
Associate Registrar’s Office: +251 11 553 80 17
School of Graduate Studies (Main Campus)
Registrar’s Office: +251 11 554 66 69
College of Open and Distance Learning (Main Campus)
Associate Registrar’s Office: +251 11 550 4762/63